Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc (MDGS) was originally formed in 1998 as the Maitland Family History Circle Inc. 12 years later the name was changed; and following many years operating from the Community Room at Maitland Library on Wednesday mornings, MDGS moved to its current location at the Mounted Police Barracks, 17 Lindesay Street, East Maitland in 2011. In 2016 MDGS became Maitland & Beyond Family History Inc.
Christmas 2017 & New Year 2018 operating times – The Barracks will close on Saturday 16 December 2017 and reopen on Wednesday 17 January 2018.
Current operating times are:
- Wednesday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Saturday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Other times by appointment
While we are located in Maitland, our research is not restricted to Maitland alone. We can help you with your ancestors whether they lived locally or beyond; came free or convict; English, Scottish, Irish!
A sample of what we have available:
- An electronic database of people who are mentioned in our resources
- An extensive Library, that includes books on a variety of topics of interest to researchers, as well as research on specific families
- A large archive of research completed over many years
- NSW Registers of Baptisms, Burials and Marriages, 1787 – 1856 (microfilmed images of Parish Registers)
- Transcribed Parish and Cemetery Records from the local area and beyond
- Transcripts of Death Registers from the Maitland Court House, 1856 – 1945
- Pioneer Registers from the local area and beyond
- A large range of CDs and digital material from Australia and overseas
- Transcribed Electoral Rolls from our local area and beyond
- Land Records, Maps and Rate Books of our local area that can help you find where your ancestor lived and/or if they owned land