Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc (MDGS) was originally formed in 1998 as the Maitland Family History Circle Inc. 12 years later the name was changed; and following many years operating from the Community Room at Maitland Library on Wednesday mornings, MDGS moved to its current location at the Mounted Police Barracks, 17 Lindesay Street, East Maitland in 2011.
Current operating times are:
- Wednesday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Saturday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Other times by appointment
While we are located in Maitland, our research is not restricted to Maitland alone. We can help you with your ancestors whether they lived locally or beyond; came free or convict; English, Scottish, Irish!
A sample of what we have available:
- An electronic database of all our resources, that is constantly being added to
- An extensive Library, that includes books and research of families
- An archive of original Wills and Land Records, together with a large archive of research completed over many years
- Parish Registers, BDMs, Cemetery Registers
- NSW BDM pre civil registration, 1788 – 1855
- Transcripts of death registers from the Maitland Court House 1856 – 1945
- A large range of CDs and digital material from Australia and overseas
- Electoral Rolls from our local area and beyond
- Land Records, Maps and Rate Books of our local area that can help you find where your ancestor lived and/or if they owned land