Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc (MDGS) was originally formed in 1998 as the Maitland Family History Circle Inc. 12 years later the name was changed; and following many years operating from the Community Room at Maitland Library on Wednesday mornings, MDGS moved to its current location at the Mounted Police Barracks, 17 Lindesay Street, East Maitland in 2011.
Current operating times are:
- Saturday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Wednesday, 9:30am – 3:00pm
- Tuesday, 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Thursday, 10:00am – 2:00pm
- Other times by appointment
While we are located in Maitland, our research is not restricted to Maitland alone. We can help you with your ancestors whether they lived locally or beyond; came free or convict; English, Scottish, Irish!
A sample of what we have available:
- An electronic database of all our resources, that is constantly being added to
- An extensive Library, that includes books and research of families
- An archive of original Wills and Land Records, together with a large archive of research completed over many years
- Parish Registers, BDMs, Cemetery Registers
- NSW BDM pre civil registration, 1788 – 1855
- Transcripts of death registers from the Maitland Court House 1856 – 1945
- A large range of CDs and digital material from Australia and overseas
- Electoral Rolls from our local area and beyond
- Land Records, Maps and Rate Books of our local area that can help you find where your ancestor lived and/or if they owned land
MDGS members can take advantage of the Society’s extensive and growing research material on any of its opening days.
Visitors are most welcome for a small day-research fee.
Reciprocal visits from other Family History Groups are also welcome.
A Commissioned Research Service is available as follows:
- A General Fee of $35 per Family Name requested
- Be specific about what you are looking for
- Give as much information as you know
- Attach or send any records you may have that will identify the person(s) you want information about
- In Person: Old Maitland Police Barracks, 17 Lindesay Street, East Maitland, NSW
- By Email: email@example.com
- Payment by Bank Transfer to
Account Name: Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc
BSB: 721 000
Account Number: 100032654
Reference: Your Name
- By Mail: Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope if you would like a reply posted:
Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc
PO Box 247
MAITLAND NSW 2320
- Cheques to be made payable to Maitland & District Genealogy Society Inc
Time taken to complete research will depend on each request and could take up to 8 weeks.
MDGS can also be contacted by phone on 02 4905 1878 each Wednesday and Saturday during operating times. Alternatively, if the phone is unattended, the option to leave a message is available.
Disclaimer: While every effort is made to ensure that the information supplied by the Maitland & District Genealogical Society Inc is correct, we accept no responsibility for the accuracy of that information.